WELCOME TO THE SALT + SEA CANDLE FAMILY!
We're here to answer any questions you may have!
If you don't see any answers to your questions below,
be sure to contact us at email@example.com
CANDLE CARE + TIPS:
• Most important: Never leave a burning candle unattended!
• Always burn your candles on stable, heat resistant, flat surfaces.
• Keep out of reach of pets and children.
• Remove all of the wick debris from the wax prior to lighting or relighting
• Do not place your candles in a drafty area. Drafts decrease burn time, cause uneven burning, and can lead to smoking.
• Do not move a lit or recently extinguished candle, the glass retains heat and is hot!
• We recommend storing your candle in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. This will help protect it from discoloring due to UV rays or excess fluorescent lighting, and will help prevent the scent from fading.
SOY WAX + WOODEN WICKS:
• We use 100% natural soy wax, sourced from the USA and supports US farmers!
• Soy wax is made from soybean oil and is non-toxic, contains no carcinogens or pollutants, is 100% sustainable, and biodegradable.
• Soy wax burns cleaner than parrafin wax and produces nearly zero carbon soot. It also burns 25-50% longer!
• All our wooden wicks are naturally processed and sources from Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified mills and manufactured in the USA. The FCS is an independent, non-profit organization that protects forests for future generations.
• Our wooden wicks are 100% natural and not processed in any way. They are non-toxic and clean burning.
• Wooden wicks have a crackle! The crackle you hear comes from the compounds present in your candle reaching their flashpoint.
• Our wick company works with Trees For The Future and has planted over 50,000 trees to date!
LIGHTING + BURNING:
• Wooden wicks light much slower than cotton wicks. Hold your lighter close to the wick until the entire width of the wood is ignited. This may take about 15-20 seconds. In rare instances, this may take a couple times to ignite.
• Soy wax has memory, if you melt the wax all the way across the jar every time you burn it, the surface of the candle will stay flat and the sides of the jar will stay clean all the way down. The first burn is the most important! Allow the candle to create a wax pool that stretches across the entire jar and is at least ¼” thick. This may take up to 2+ hours. This will give you maximum scent throw and an even burn every time!
• Extinguish your candles if it starts smoking or the flame becomes too high. These show that the candle is not burning properly. Allow your candle to cool, then trim the wick, and check for any drafts before relighting. Wooden wicks are self-trimming, but if you notice your wick is longer than ½”, trim the wick by breaking off the charred ends, to roughly ¼” before lighting. Excessively long wicks are a main cause of soot and those smoky marks that color the tops of your glass jar candles. Trimming the wick if it’s too long keeps the flame in control and prevents those marks from forming in the first place. To remove the soot marks, wait until the candle has cooled then wipe out with a dry paper towel.
• Do not burn your candle for longer than 4 hours at a time. We suggest that after burning a candle for 4 hours, allow the candle to cool for 2 hours before relighting.
•We recommend discontinued use of a candle (ours or other brands) when ½ inch of wax remains at the bottom of the jar. Since we use wooden wicks, they are secured into each jar with a metal clip, which stands about ½ inch tall, which is about the amount of wax that will be left in our jars because of the metal clips. This will prevent possible heat damage to the counter/surface or container itself! The glass can get hot on the bottom as the flame nears the base of the jar and most of the wax has been consumed. Following this rule, will prevent heat damage to the glass and the surrounding surfaces. Continuing to burn past this point is a fire hazard!
• Once your candle is done, clean out the jar of remaining wax and wick clip. This can be done easily with hot water. Now the choice is yours and the options are unlimited! Drinking glass! Make up brush holder! Small succulent or herb planter! Share with us how you've repurposed your jar!
Please keep in mind that all our candles are poured by hand, not mass produced. Although we make an extreme effort to ensure the consistency of our products, every candle may differ slightly in appearance.